What your dermatologists in Holmdel want you to know
If you want to keep from getting wrinkles, fine lines and age spots, one of the best things you can do is protect your skin during the summer. You aren’t just protecting your skin to stay looking young; you are also guarding against skin cancer which can be fatal. Your dermatologists at Monarch Dermatology in Holmdel, NJ Dr. Priya Thakker and Dr. Divya Bhatnagar, want to share the facts about how to stay protected from the sun’s scorching rays.
When you enjoy fun in the sun, it’s important to remember to:
- Apply a sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher every few hours
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming or water exposure
- Apply a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher if you stay outside for more than a few hours
- Try to remain in the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM
- Wear hats, sunglasses and other protective clothing
You should also examine your skin every month to look for signs of sun damage which can include:
- Skin that is dry, flaky, itching or beginning to wrinkle
- Deep red sunburn, which can indicate skin damage
- Discolorations, moles, or dark brown spots
Sometimes a discoloration, mole, or dark brown spot can be an early warning sign of skin cancer. You should see your dermatologist if you have a mole with:
- Irregular borders or an asymmetrical shape
- Changing, non-uniform color
- A diameter greater than 6 millimeters
Skin cancer is very common and can be very destructive. In fact, 1 in 5 people in the US will get skin cancer in their lifetime according to the Skin Cancer Foundation. There are more cases of skin cancer than colon, lung, prostate or breast cancer combined.
You don’t want to be a skin cancer statistic! You also don’t want to look prematurely old with wrinkles and damaged skin. You do want to protect yourself from the harmful rays of the sun, and you don’t have to do it alone. Call your dermatologists Dr. Thakker and Dr. Bhatnagar at Monarch Dermatology in Holmdel, NJ for help. Get started protecting your skin by calling today!