Botox and Xeomin are neurotoxins that are FDA approved to relax muscles of facial expression and treat fine lines and wrinkles. Very small amounts of the neurotoxin are injected into targeted facial muscles, interfering with the signals that are sent from the nerves to the muscles, thus preventing muscle contraction. This helps to soften the appearance of existing wrinkles and prevents new lines from developing.
Yes! They have been used safely and successfully for over two decades in both children and adults. They were initially used to treat facial muscle spasms, but have been adapted over time for the cosmetic purpose of relaxing the facial muscles that cause folds and wrinkles.
Adults with “dynamic” facial wrinkles are perfect candidates for Botox or Xeomin treatment. Dynamic wrinkles become accentuated with facial movement (eg-smiling, frowning, raising eyebrows) and are different from “static or resting” wrinkles which are present when the face is at rest.
• If you desire complete removal of “static or resting” lines. Botox or Xeomin will NOT eliminate fixed lines, although they may soften their appearance.
• If you are pregnant, attempting to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
• If you are under the age of 18 years.
• If you are allergic to cow’s milk protein, albumin, egg whites, or have a known hypersensitivity to any botulinum toxin product.
• If you have a myopathy or neuromuscular disorder such as myasthenia gravis, Eaton-Lambert syndrome, or ALS.
What to Expect
It takes 4-7 days after the treatment for the frowning, squinting, and forehead muscles to relax. Although fine lines often disappear at this time, deeper furrows may take longer to fade away. In older patients or those with very deep wrinkles, lines will soften considerably but will not be completely eradicated. When properly administered, neurotoxin injections will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you “had work done.” They simply reduce the muscle activity causing frown lines, forehead lines, etc, so that you can still frown or look surprised without the development of creases.
It varies from patient to patient – the effects usually last between 3-4 months, but can sometimes last longer depending on the individual. Repeated treatments are recommended when the effects of the prior injection diminish. With continued treatments, the duration of muscle relaxation generally becomes longer and some patients can eventually wait up to 6 months or more between treatments.
Dr. Bhatnagar will ask you to frown or perform other specific facial expressions, in order to accentuate your facial muscles. She then will inject the solution at multiple sites with a small needle. There will be some minor discomfort during the injection procedure, but it is tolerable and local anesthesia is not indicated. Most patients typically describe the injection as a small pinch or mosquito bite. The assistant will apply pressure to the injected areas to reduce bruising. The entire treatment typically takes less than 10-15 minutes.
While most patients tolerate injections very well, there is often mild discomfort associated with the injections and sometimes subsequent bruising, swelling, and/or mild headaches. Rarely, an adjacent muscle may be weakened for a few weeks after the injection, leading to temporary double vision or drooping of the eyebrow and/or eyelid. In the treatment around the chin or mouth, the smile may be mildly modified. Allergic reactions are uncommon.
The risk of transient bruising at injection sites is increased with ibuprofen and alcohol intake. If you are scheduled for a Botox or Xeomin injection, try to avoid taking ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) within 1 week and alcohol within 48 hours of your appointment. Tylenol is safe to use.
• Avoid lying flat and refrain from vigorous exercise for at least 4 hours after the procedure.
• Do not rub, press, or otherwise manipulate the treated area as this may relocate the toxin and cause undesired effects. If you apply makeup after your treatment, be careful not to apply pressure.
• For 2-3 hours following your appointment, exercise the treated facial muscles as much as possible. This helps to achieve the maximal effect of your treatment.
• You should see desired effects within 4-7 days of your injection.
If you are interested in Botox® or Xeomin®, Contact Us today or call 732-739-3223 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Divya Bhatnagar. Together, you can discuss your concerns, determine if neurotoxins are right for you, and design a treatment plan that will help you say goodbye to those frown lines!